What's All This About, Then?
(aka Your Many Questions Indelicately Answered)

(hint #1: scroll down and this won't be as hard to read. You're welcome.)


We go on trips. Road trips. Other trips. But mostly road trips. Sometimes (ideally) long ones. Sometimes not.

Yes, this is the same blog as the one about the Oregon Trail. Yes, it used to have a stagecoach and a dusty feel to it, which went along with the Oregon Trail very nicely. Yes, that was a great trip. That was three years ago. (the blog is still here if you want to read it...it starts here)

So...as we embark on the latest chapter of our roamin' ways, we want to invite you to come along. First, we might get lonely. I mean, we don't really get lonely much, but it's possible. Second, you might miss us. Third, you just might be nosy. And fourth, we are notoriously and and historically bad at sending postcards, circulating photos, keeping up with a scrapbook; as a matter of fact, with documenting our trip in most every way. We figured this might be the 21st century solution. It worked for the last trip, which was (as you know) three years ago (sniff). So we're keeping it going.


We hope you'll pop in, read about where we are, what we're doing, see photos of our adventures, and experience our gypsy hardships (like no room service) vicariously! Most importantly, we hope you'll add your comments and greetings, which we will get when we get to one of our stopping points. Souvenir requests will receive due consideration (Hint #1: Success is highly correlated with tackiness).

For those so inclined (you know who you are), we will also list links to related sites so that you can learn with us as we learn on the road, and maybe visit some of the same sights in the future!

Happy Trails to us all!

Love, Phoebe and Robin


Monday, July 30, 2007

Reflections on the Road

Tonight, we are in Pocatello, Idaho (where they have a GREAT Mexican restaurant, by the way), having made our way back to the Oregon Trail. It was a long day, without much to report, since most of it was eaten up by the breakdown of our SECOND rental car. With all due respect to those we know and love (you know who you are) who are proud owners of Subaru Foresters, let me just say that I've had it. After going through two Foresters in two weeks, we've switched cars. The process took several hours, and made it necessary to cut our scenic route that was planned for today (it also made me very fussy, but that's another story--I'll spare you).

With any luck, we will backtrack about an hour and a half in the morning and cover those sights, since they sound really great. We'll write more about those tomorrow morning (our first entry about Idaho!)

In the meantime, I just have to share a couple of things that have been nagging at me.

I hinted at the first in one other post, but I've been itching to say it more fully. It's about that verse in "This Land is Your Land", in which Woody Guthrie says "As I walked that ribbon of highway, I saw above me, that endless skyway, I saw below me that golden valley--this land was made for you and me". I have sung that song my whole life, and I have traveled much of the west, and I never really knew what that meant. Until now--especially about the ribbon of highway. On this trip, we have driven road after two-lane road that spread out before us for miles and miles, undulating exactly like a ribbon (or like a piece of that wonderful ribbon candy that appears at Christmas time, though not as tightly curved, obviously). I could look ahead and see the road rise and fall and rise and fall. I have never seen that before. I will never hear that song the same way again.

And one more thing...though it sounds a little (or more than a little) cheesy, and we stumbled on it in the most unlikely of ways, we have added to our "Westward Ho" playlist (which we play in the car every day) the theme song from Dances with Wolves. Whatever you think about that movie (and everyone seems to think something), the song is enormously provocative and is a wonderful match for the view of the prairie spread out ahead of you. When you hear it, you can see the wagons, you can feel the immensity of the plains, and, if you're me, you cry.

Here it is. If you've ever been to the prairie, then just close your eyes and listen. If you haven't been to the prairie--we hadn't--try to imagine, or look at the photo (not one of mine, but just like what we've seen every day for weeks) And if neither works, then play it in your car sometime when you pass this way. And if you can't stand it, and think I'm nuts, then just turn it off (it's your computer, remember?)and keep quiet--we're enjoying ourselves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's beautiful, Robin! I can see why you're moved. Oh, I'll have to travel part of the trail while I'm out in Omaha next month... Amazing!

Pat said...

beautiful music
beautiful prairie
beautiful friends
who share so much.
love to you both.

Eastbound Mama said...

So moving--I cried.

Anonymous said...

Well, every time I think you've outdone yourself, you 'kick it up a notch.' This was really a touching post, and I agree with you about the music. Although I've never been to the prairie (other than via 'Little House...', it was very evocative in concert (no groans please) with your narrative. Thank you once again!

Eastbound Mama said...

You go, Susan!!! Keep them puns a'comin'!