What's All This About, Then?
(aka Your Many Questions Indelicately Answered)

(hint #1: scroll down and this won't be as hard to read. You're welcome.)


We go on trips. Road trips. Other trips. But mostly road trips. Sometimes (ideally) long ones. Sometimes not.

Yes, this is the same blog as the one about the Oregon Trail. Yes, it used to have a stagecoach and a dusty feel to it, which went along with the Oregon Trail very nicely. Yes, that was a great trip. That was three years ago. (the blog is still here if you want to read it...it starts here)

So...as we embark on the latest chapter of our roamin' ways, we want to invite you to come along. First, we might get lonely. I mean, we don't really get lonely much, but it's possible. Second, you might miss us. Third, you just might be nosy. And fourth, we are notoriously and and historically bad at sending postcards, circulating photos, keeping up with a scrapbook; as a matter of fact, with documenting our trip in most every way. We figured this might be the 21st century solution. It worked for the last trip, which was (as you know) three years ago (sniff). So we're keeping it going.


We hope you'll pop in, read about where we are, what we're doing, see photos of our adventures, and experience our gypsy hardships (like no room service) vicariously! Most importantly, we hope you'll add your comments and greetings, which we will get when we get to one of our stopping points. Souvenir requests will receive due consideration (Hint #1: Success is highly correlated with tackiness).

For those so inclined (you know who you are), we will also list links to related sites so that you can learn with us as we learn on the road, and maybe visit some of the same sights in the future!

Happy Trails to us all!

Love, Phoebe and Robin


Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Lawrence, Kansas to Hastings, NE

As you know, I'm writing this after the fact, and you already got Phoebe's report, so I'll just share the highlights from my perspective...

Mostly, I want to invite you to share a small part of our long day through this video, which was taken on a gravel road in Pottawattamie County, Kansas that is an actual part of the Oregon Trail (the street signs say "Oregon Trail Road" and according to the detailed maps we have, this is as close to the actual trail as possible, given development (not that there's much of that). And of course, we have to share with you the song that we've played every day in the car!



The place where the video ends up is at a roadside graveyard, where we did some rubbings and Phoebe was stunned by the number of graves for infants or young children. We had long conversations about childhood illness and medical developments of the 20th century. She has had many many questions about my dad's death as well, and I have explained aggressive cancer as best I can.

We visited a place called the Indian Pay Station Museum, which was in St. Mary's, Kansas. It was comprised of three museums, one devoted to the Catholic history of St. Mary's, one that was the Pay Station itself, and a large barn filled with old cars and farm equipment (all restored). We learned a bit about the history of the Pottawattamie (pronounced pot-a-WOT-a-me) Indians, who also endured a forced march akin to the Trail of Tears--some of the tribe wound up in Kansas and some in Oklahoma. This station was a place where government payments to members of the tribe were handled, and we saw their "safe" where they kept the gold (i.e. under the floor boards...Phoebe was unable to comprehend how people wouldn't easily find it there and how that would be secure). The actual record book of the payments was there, which was fascinating.

Before reaching Hastings, we also passed through (intended to stay there, but that's a long story) Red Cloud, Nebraska, home of Willa Cather, which was inspiring for the brief moments that we were there. It has moved me to read her writing again, and I'm going to try to pick up a book on this trip. It seems only fitting. And so I close with a few quotes from Willa Cather (1873-1947), to shed light on this journey, it's timing, and it's lessons...

"There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm"

"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived.
"

"Every artist makes himself born. It is very much harder than the other time, and longer."

and last, for my sisters in Voices Rising:

"All the intelligence and talent in the world can't make a singer. The voice is a wild thing. It can't be bred in captivity. It is a sport, like the silver fox. It happens."

5 comments:

Eastbound Mama said...

Thank you so much for the video--I feel like I was on the road again with you both!

Love the Willa Cather quotes--especially the voice one!

SusanKr said...

You know, of course, since we're the same person, that I love Willa Cather and recently re-read "My Antonia."

I'm loving these updates!

susan

42pennies said...

No, I didn't know that, Susan.

BUT I SHOULD HAVE!!!

(that's what I'm reading too) :)

Anonymous said...

Have you been doing much riding down country roads like this? I spent much of my growing up riding these kinds of roads... dust billowing up behind and every so often a car will pass, always with a wave cuz they figure if you are way out there on their road they must know you or your family!!!

I keep making my way through your blog... loving every minute of it... when do we see pics of wyoming and utah? have I just not gotten there yet?

Anonymous said...

By the way, when I was in 4th grade I lived in Hastings... went to Alcott elementary school... what I remember the most about Hastings was getting a burger, fry and coke at McD's and getting change back from a dollar!!! AND how flat it was there...