What's All This About, Then?
(aka Your Many Questions Indelicately Answered)

(hint #1: scroll down and this won't be as hard to read. You're welcome.)


We go on trips. Road trips. Other trips. But mostly road trips. Sometimes (ideally) long ones. Sometimes not.

Yes, this is the same blog as the one about the Oregon Trail. Yes, it used to have a stagecoach and a dusty feel to it, which went along with the Oregon Trail very nicely. Yes, that was a great trip. That was three years ago. (the blog is still here if you want to read it...it starts here)

So...as we embark on the latest chapter of our roamin' ways, we want to invite you to come along. First, we might get lonely. I mean, we don't really get lonely much, but it's possible. Second, you might miss us. Third, you just might be nosy. And fourth, we are notoriously and and historically bad at sending postcards, circulating photos, keeping up with a scrapbook; as a matter of fact, with documenting our trip in most every way. We figured this might be the 21st century solution. It worked for the last trip, which was (as you know) three years ago (sniff). So we're keeping it going.


We hope you'll pop in, read about where we are, what we're doing, see photos of our adventures, and experience our gypsy hardships (like no room service) vicariously! Most importantly, we hope you'll add your comments and greetings, which we will get when we get to one of our stopping points. Souvenir requests will receive due consideration (Hint #1: Success is highly correlated with tackiness).

For those so inclined (you know who you are), we will also list links to related sites so that you can learn with us as we learn on the road, and maybe visit some of the same sights in the future!

Happy Trails to us all!

Love, Phoebe and Robin


Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Patience is a virtue

...and it's apparently one you're going to have to have, as I can't write more than a cursory update tonight. I hope (and plan) for more tomorrow.

It was an insane day today....drove for umpteen hours, made some wrong turns, ate terribly, and now Phoebe is asleep and I'm not feeling well, so have to get to bed immediately. But just so you know we're still here, still alive, still traveling, and still blogging (keep coming back--if for no other reason than to assuage my completely irrational fear that if I don't post daily, people will lose interest....)

We are in Hastings, Nebraska tonight, so you can look us up on the map. In the morning, we go to Fort Kearney and then west. Last night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, with no internet access. It is a Loooooooong way between those two points, and we're wiped out. Much has happened, many great photos, many Oregon Trail sites and stops, but no energy to write about any of them tonight.

Hopefully, a full report tomorrow. Phoebe has said she'll write some of the update, which is even better.

Hope you and yours are well, and stay tuned (and keep leaving comments!!)...

Robin

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I chanced upon your site and was intrigued. I'll pop back in to see how the trip is going. Have fun!

Eastbound Mama said...

Hey, intrepid travelers! You deserve a rest, and a good night of sleep. Westward ho! (BTW--I was looking at the map of the Oregon Trail that you posted here, and noticed that there was something called the "Unorganized Territory." I think that's where I'd go! Eat well tomorrow--Phoebe, that means you! Robin--that means you! (And I will join you from the homestead back east, as will the dogs.)

Oh--just one more thing, which I just know will be oh so interesting and thrilling to Phoebe: the Red Sox have lost their last two games, the Yankees have won theirs, and Mama is doing a major happy dance!!! (Heh heh heh!)

42pennies said...

mama c--

too cool that you "chanced upon" the site! How did that happen? You're most welcome, in any case.

Ooh...we're branchin' out!

Robin

Anonymous said...

You gals are some travelers! In view of your sleepy selves, I'll just leave one important comment (and also to let you know that I do check in to the blog every day): GO YANKEES. (Sorry, I yelled.) Have fun, eat well, photos (?).

Anonymous said...

Hi there, travelers,
I am enjoying your blog very much, and will be sorry when I have to put it away when we go west (to Colorado Rocky Mtns and Sante Fe New Mex for July 23-Aug 5). By the time I return, you will probably have miles of travel and more blogging to read than I have time to catch up on!

I love all your details. As an ice cream lover, I notice a reference here and there to occasional ice cream treats you have been tasting. How about an ice cream record for this summer trip? Locations, flavors, quality ratings, other relevant comments?

Enjoy your travels!

Mary

Julia and Leora said...

I'm sorry to hear that you guys are exhausted. Driving out West always seems longer somehow. There's lots of land out that way, huh?

One summer, when I was driving around the Wyoming/Utah/Idaho area, I came to a sign that said, "Construction--use detour." Of course, being stubborn and having oppositional disorder, I chose to continue on the way I was going. I mean, my route was on a HIGHWAY! How much "construction" could there be?

Well, of course, the reason for the detour was because the highway went through this mountain pass with no exits for about 10 miles. So, when I arrived at the point of no return, I was made to wait for... I don't know... an HOUR while they flagged cars from the other side of the mountain pass through. By the time we had moved, I had gotten a nice tan by sleeping on the roof of my car while I waited to move. The "highway" was just one big rock- and pothole-filled mess and it took about 30 minutes to navigate to the other side where I greeted similarly stubborn tourists who hadn't bothered to change course.

Lesson? Follow the signs. They're probably there for a reason.

Eastbound Mama said...

Hey Science Girl--I would argue, of course, that by NOT following the signs, you had an experience about which you are talking. Plus, you got a great tan and a nap. Had you followed the detour, you would not even remember the experience. Thus, your questioning authority (that's what we called it in my day--not oppositional disorder!) led you to an adventure of sorts. QED. So there. Nuff said (as Robin would say).